PREPPING kids for university is a big step – and a costly one.
Parents and family contribute up to £200 a month to young people attending uni, according to the 2018 NatWest Student Living Index.
And the first days in student digs are the priciest of all, with basics to buy as well as tech needed for classes.
Here are our top tips for slashing the cost of kids flying the nest…
- Home comforts: Pack up extra bedding, towels and blankets from home to make their room cosy. In terms of pots and pans, Argos sells a 20-piece kitchen essentials starter set for £22 to set them up in the kitchen.
- Savvy decor: Putting a stamp on their new living space is essential. Light up their room with a neon-effect light — George at Asda has a great range including flamingo, unicorn or rainbow designs from just £8. For another quirky touch, buy a room print from desenio.co.uk from just £2.95, including minimalist text design. Don’t forget to shop around on Facebook local buy-and-sell pages for secondhand goods, and join Freecycle to snap up items for free.
- Store cupboard staples: Aldi and Lidl are great for bulk-buy staples including pasta, rice and cereal. To spice them up, George Rouse, head chef at catering company George’s Kitchen, suggests: “For seasoning, if you can’t afford anything else, invest in dried mixed herbs, smoked paprika and sriracha sauce.” We found the lot at Tesco for a total of £3.61.
- Bargain tech: If getting the latest Apple Macbook is non-negotiable for your student, make sure you make some money from it — new customers to TopCashback can get £50 back on Macbooks priced above £1,000 from Currys PC World until October 3.
- Keep it clean: If your student is a cleaning novice, make them up a basket of cleaning products. Wilko is perfect for this, with scourers, cloths and cleaning products from just 50p.
Or order the Vileda university essentials cleaning kit for £24.99, including a mop, bucket, broom, dust pan set and cloth down from £38.35 until Sunday.
WEAR Domyos by Decathlon women’s cardio leggings for £17.99, instead of Power Wetlook Mesh 7/8 leggings from Sweaty Betty for £95.
Deal of the day
My Sun Savers fiver
JOANNA LANCASTER, from Matlock, Derbys, says: “I live 200 miles away from my daughter so I put my fivers towards train tickets.”
- Send us your Savers fiver stories to sunsavers.co.uk/fivers and you’ll get 28 codes worth £5 if your tip is used. Please include your name and town.
Save a fiver
CHECK if your little ones have a fever with the Braun Thermo-scan 3 from Tesco. Was £35, now £30.
Reader’s saving tip
BRENDA DAWSON, from Antrim, Northern Ireland, says: “Pour the last content of your wine bottle into an ice-cube tray and freeze, then use it to add flavour to your meals.”
- Send your suggestions to sunsavers.co.uk/tips and get 28 codes, worth £5, if your tip is used. Please include your name and town.
Win £15,000 off your mortgage
WE’VE teamed up with free online mortgage broker Habito to offer one lucky reader £15,000 towards their mortgage.
To be in with a chance of winning our great cash giveaway, collect TEN of the Sun Savers codes printed daily until September 25.
Then go to the Sun Savers app or sunsavers.co.uk and enter your TEN Sun Savers codes. Lastly, go to the “Win A Year’s Mortgage with Habito” page in “Offers” and click “Enter” by midnight on Monday, October 8.
A recent study by Habito found 58 per cent of British homeowners could save on average £294 a month (that’s £3,528 per year) by switching to a better mortgage. To find out more, visit Habito.com.
Not a Sun Savers member? Go to sunsavers.co.uk or download the Sun Savers app to get involved.
- Terms and conditions: 18+ UK residents only (excludes IoM, Channel Islands). Code collect Sep 8 to 25, 2018. Entry closes Oct 8, 2018. Winner selected at random. T&Cs apply. For full T&Cs see sunsavers.co.uk.
Win £27k for your wedding
IF you’ve not started collecting for our Sun Savers competition to Win Your Wedding, it is now too late to join in.
But if you have already started, today’s code is at the bottom of page 14.
Remember, you just need to collect TEN of the Sun Savers codes printed daily until Tuesday, October 2.
After entering your codes on Sun Savers, head to the contest in ‘Offers’ and click ‘Enter’ before midnight on Monday, October 15.
You can win £27,000 toward your dream wedding – or enter for a loved one who is getting hitched.
If you are not already a Sun Savers member, join up now by following the steps below.
For every 28 Sun Savers codes you enter, we give you £5 FREE cash. Over a year, this could add up to £65.
- Terms and conditions: Collect TEN Sun Savers codes from the 18 printed in The Sun between Saturday, September 15, and Tuesday, October 2, 2018. Last chance to join in is Sunday, September 23. Competition closes at 23:59pm on Monday, October 15. Over-18, UK residents only. One entry per person. Winner will be selected at random from all valid entries. There will be ONE winner of 1 x £27,000 cash. Allow seven days from entry closing for the draw to take place. Winner will then be notified within 14 days.
Please allow 28 days for receipt of prize. Prize is non-transferable. Your information will be used only for the purposes of this competition. Promoter is News Group Newspapers Ltd. Not open to staff of the Promoter and promotional partner or their families. The winner will be asked to participate in reasonable publicity relating to this competition. The Editor’s decision is final.
For winner details, send a stamped addressed envelope to News UK, Competitions Department, 1 London Bridge Street, London, SE1 9GF, stating which competition you require details for.
Play now to win £15,000 on the Sun Savers Raffle
JOIN thousands of readers taking part in the new Sun Savers Raffle.
Every Sun Savers code you enter will earn you a ticket for our £15k monthly Raffle. And for every ten tickets you collect in a calendar month, you get a GOLDEN TICKET for our £80k Raffle, which takes place every three months, with the first one at the end of June.
There is no limit to how many tickets you can collect. So the more you enter, the better your chances.
To take part go to sunsavers.co.uk or open the Sun Savers app. Then opt in to each month’s Raffle by clicking “Yes!” when prompted and start collecting the Sun Savers codes printed daily in the paper.
Today’s code is on Page 20. Every time you scan or enter a code into Sun Savers, you get a Raffle ticket in the £15k Raffle.
Not yet a Sun Savers member? Just go to sunsavers.co.uk or find “Sun Savers” in the app store to get started.
Fancy a free fiver?
YOU can get FREE cash with super Sun Savers just for buying your favourite paper.
Our brilliant new rewards club will pay back our most loyal readers.
Just pick up the paper each day to collect your Sun Savers codes and we will GIVE YOU £5 when you have collected 28.
This isn’t a one-off and there is no limit to how much cash you can save.
For every 28 codes you enter, we will give you a fiver. So over the course of a year, that could add up to £65.
We are keeping it super-simple. You don’t have to enter codes from consecutive days, so don’t worry if you forget a day or two.
Download our easy Sun Savers app and quickly scan your code using your smartphone. Or go online and enter your code at sunsavers.co.uk.
Quality Street has axed one of its flavours – but is it your favourite?
CHECK YOUR CHANGE
Do you have a 50p worth up to £840? We reveal the most valuable coins
DECK THE HALLS
You can get a pick and mix Quality Street tin at John Lewis’ Christmas shop
Aldi is launching a £3 FOOT LONG pig in blanket this Christmas
SUNG AS A BUG
Lidl is selling a heated blanket for £17
To get you on your way, join today and we will put a bonus £1 in your Sun Savers wallet tomorrow. And the good news doesn’t stop with free cash.
With Sun Savers, we give you the best hacks, deals and tips to save money every single day.
TO JOIN: Don’t worry, folks — joining takes just 30 seconds, in three steps.